Tuesday, November 10, 2009

And here I rave about bookcrossing

About two years ago I discovered one of the best websites on the net: the amazing bookcrossing!
In case you don't already know about it, I warn you: if you love books, bookcrossing is dangerously addictive. Almost as much as sudokus.

Bookcrossing is, according to the Concise Oxford English Dictionary, the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise.
Practically, you "release" a book leaving it anywhere you want (on statues, hanging on trees, a seat at the dentist's...wherever.), and wait for someone to find it.
The person who finds it, will then (hopefully) make a journal entry on the website, and release the book again if they wish.

Of course, if you prefer a less risky method, you can give the book to someone you know, or send it to someone else on bookcrossing.

I could describe everything here, but the FAQs on the bookcrossing website are much better than anything I could do.
You should really check it out, it's fabulous!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/

P.S. Do I repeat the word "bookcrossing" too often? I don't have any synonyms. 

2 comments:

  1. I love to read ; I'll have to
    check that website out , Thnxx !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a book lover! You really need to know about these sites, then:

    www.LibraryThing.com <--catalog the books you own/want to read/have read

    www.Bookmooch.com <--Mail a book you don't want to someone on this site and get a point; use that point to have someone mail you a book.

    ReplyDelete